I have won competitive grants and awards for my research and service. Unfunded grants to which I have applied, fellowship award amounts, and declined fellowships are available upon request. Note that regardless of the award’s name, I consider any awards expressly for research purposes as “grants” and awards that include living expenses as “fellowships.”
* Denotes externally competitive
2022-24 | Ascendium Education Group*
- Co-Author, with Eric P. Bettinger, Russ Deaton, Madison Dell, and Amy Moreland
- Amount: $730,000
- Project: “Fast Track to Success? A Mixed Methods Study of Accelerated Course Formats”
2022-23 | Stanford University
- Computational Social Sciences Fellowship [Link]
- Amount: $5,000
- Project: “A Means to an End or an End in Itself: How Social Class Foregrounds the Meaning of College”
2021-22 | Russell Sage Foundation*
- Targeted Competition Grant on Equal Opportunity Monitoring [link]
- Amount: $9,885
- Project: “Does Equalizing School Funding Lead to More Equitable Outcomes?”
2022-23 | American Educational Research Association Dissertation Fellowship – AERA* [link]
- Provides advanced graduate students with research funding and professional development and training. The program supports highly competitive dissertation research using rigorous quantitative methods to examine large-scale, education-related data.
2022 | Society for Research on Educational Effectiveness Summer Fellowship – SREE* [link]
- Awarded to SREE student members to answer a philanthropic organization’s questions about a critical area in education policy. Goals include making research findings more accessible to users and helping find gaps and needs in educational research that funders need.
2021-22 | Gerald J. Lieberman Fellowship – Stanford University [link]
- Awarded to graduate students across the university who have demonstrated outstanding accomplishments, the potential for leadership roles within the academic community, and promising careers in university teaching and research. By nomination only.
2020 | Karr Fellowship – Stanford Center for Education Policy Analysis
- Awarded to graduate students pursuing interdisciplinary work in education policy.
2017-2021 | Institute of Education Sciences Fellowship – Stanford Graduate School of Education* [link]
- Awards fund doctoral student training in quantitative education policy analysis.
2017 | I. James and Viola Quillen Fellowship – Stanford Graduate School of Education
- Award funds doctoral student training in the GSE.
2020 | GSE Dean’s Collaborative Learning Fund as Committee Lead, CEPA Race and Research Group
- Awards fund student-led initiatives that promote scholarly camaraderie in the GSE. I co-wrote the application to fund student consultants for diversifying course syllabi.
2019 | Student Projects for Intellectual Community Enhancement (SPICE) Grant as Co-Director, Sociology and Education Network
- Awards fund student-led projects that promote intellectual community on campus. I co-wrote the application to fund student workshops and networking events.
2019 | GSE Dean’s Collaborative Learning Fund as Academic Chair, GSE Student Guild
- Awards fund student-led initiatives that promote scholarly camaraderie in the GSE. I wrote the application to fund methods and professional development workshops.
2021 | Stanford Community Impact Award – Stanford Alumni Association [link]
- Awarded to graduate students who enhanced the Stanford community through their exemplary leadership, creating an event/program, or other unique contribution.
2017 | STAR Teacher – Griffin High School [link]
- Awarded to one Griffin High School teacher selected by the student with the highest SAT score.
2015 | Solomon and Sara Sutker Outstanding Student Award – Emory University [link]
- Awarded to one sociology student for distinguished undergraduate scholarship.
2014 | Phi Beta Kappa Academic Honor Society
2013 | Alpha Kappa Delta Sociology Honors Society